Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Disputation between Jonas and Fiona

Jonas: Hi Fiona, how are you ? I have to tell you something.

Fiona: Hey Jonas I'm fine. What's wrong with you ?

Jonas: Good. I want to leave the community.

Fiona: What? Why? .. But.. you can't do that Jonas!

Jonas: Fiona.. I can't explain it, you wouldn't understand it, it's very hard for me..

Fiona: But why did you tell me then ? Come on Jonas. I'm sure I will understand it. Tell me your motives.

Jonas: Okay Fiona. The memories, which I got from the Giver, are so wonderful. I want to feel them in the real life. Although there were some very painful memories but they are feelings, too, and I want to feel.

Fiona: Why do you want to feel pain? It's the silliest thing I've ever heard. And you are able to feel in our community too. For example what do you feel for me?

Jonas: I don't want to feel pain! There are very much wonderful things in the real life. Yes, I have feelings for you my little honey, but it isn’t the same! I told you, that you wouldn’t understand it. And there are not only the feelings I want to enjoy, there are things you've never seen before. You can't imagine things like snow or a rainbow, wonderful things!

Fiona: But it’s nice in our community too. Isn’t it? Remember climate control. We have enough to eat every month, because our fields grow up constantly and every time.

Jonas: No it isn’t! Everything is controlled by the government. And the climate control isn’t nice. Maybe it is nice for you, because you don’t know what sunshine, rain or snow is.

Fiona: Yes I don’t know what these things are. But that isn’t bad. I‘m happy here. But without you it wouldn’t be the same. You can’t leave me.

Jonas: Yes, you don’t know what these things are, so you haven’t any idea and I know what these things are, because I got the wonderful memories from the Giver. I can’t stay here any longer, because I want to see and feel all these wonderful memories every time and not only want to have it in my mind.

Fiona: I can really understand you. But do you want to leave your friends, your family and Gabriel alone? And what will happen to the memories if you leave the community?

Jonas: It’s hard to leave them, if I could I would take you all with me, but I think it isn’t a great idea, because the government would find us. And my father is a killer, I hate him, he lied to me every time in my whole life. When I leave the community, the memories I got, will come back to all people, maybe then you can better understand what I mean with all these wonderful things! And maybe then you and other people want to leave the community, too.

Fiona: But you said there are many painful memories. How should the community handle this?

Jonas: The Giver will stay here and help you.

Fiona: Would you take me with you?

Jonas: No I can’t! I’m so sorry, but the government would find us. I hope you will come to me any time when all the memories came back to the people. But I will go now. I love you !

Fiona: Jonas !!

Jonas: Roderik
Fiona: Simon

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you two :)
    I think this disputation is a very great idea. I very like the dramatic and romantic way you wrote it. Although you are men I think you describe the feelings good and create the atmosphere very realistic.
    Well done ! ;-)

    PS: Sadly a little critique: Sometimes you repeat things !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simon and Roderik,

    I really like the conversation you have written. Jonas and Fiona argue just the way I would imagine them to do so as you have paid attention carefully to their lines of thought that can be found in the book. Therefore, your idea to write such a disputation is such a success. Well done, boys! What a kitschy ending though ;)

    Some words on language:
    - to tell sb ABOUT his / her motives
    - to feel sth in real life (no definite article needed here)
    - MANY wonderful things (countable!)
    - fields don't "grow up", they rather florish, or better: the harvest is very good.
    - I don't wont to only have THEM (the memories, plural!) in my mind

    Talea, I really had a good laugh at your comment "Although you are men I think you describe the feelings good and create the atmosphere very realistic." ;) Does that tell me sth about men or about you, Talea?

    ReplyDelete